When we started out with our unschooling journey, we felt a little like knights in shining armor freeing ourselves from our own self-imposed shackles. Hence the name of the blog.

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

I've been reading about unschooling every chance I get and its been really jolting me. "If a child is feeling right then he will behave right." I read this in Elaine Mazlish's book today and I'm thinking this needs to be labled onto the kids' foreheads... so i can remember this while i interract with them :-)

I'm not sure how far i want to take it and i'm not sure if Ravi really knows what he's in for thru this process.

Raghu has been trying to figure out how the electricity in the walls affect only the things they are connected to. to put it crudely. He connected the tape recorder to the socket in teh front room and then went to check on the switch in the guest room... was it on or off. so this lead to a discussion about electricity. Also he wanted to open up the battery and see how the battery powers the lightbulb. I'm not sure what words to use to make it simple for him. I'm confused a bit about how to explain things without turning him off or answering with 5 more words that he would not understand as yet. intriguing.

He is amazingly perceptive... but seems like i need to really use some listening techniques with him. telling him that i understand how he feels... and then empathizing at the right times helps. but providing solutions all the time is not helpful! contrary to what we think.

He is interested in cars... the movie and i'm thinking he'd love to see a race car go in real life. he is attracted to all things speedy. so i guess its a good time to get some books from the library that talk about this topic. As i've learnt from Alison McKee's wonderful book... i need to take my cues from him. "Show me the way" (like show me the money... only better ;-) shoudl be the mantra with kids.

I'm leaving for india Jan 17th with ma-in-law and hope to find a suitable apartment as soon as possible. Ravi has some good leads and i'm really hoping that one of them works out.

No comments: