When we started out with our unschooling journey, we felt a little like knights in shining armor freeing ourselves from our own self-imposed shackles. Hence the name of the blog.

Monday, August 18, 2008

To bed or not to bed

When a child looks sleepy and its around that time when most non-nocturnal beings go to bed.... what is one to do? "You look tired, xyz" and pat comes the reply... "no, i'm not". So these days I just have to remind myself to say clearly... that its time for my bed... as in... my body is tired and so its bed time for me... instead of saying "bed time" like i used to. And i yawn and make for bed with the offer thrown over my shoulder that i would read aloud if anyone is interested. This usually illicits a positive response of some kind... like "yes i want to be read to.... i'll be over in 15 minutes amma... i want to finish this lego, work or this video or whatever". Sometimes i know for a fact that the kids are sleepy but are doing something that they know that was not allowed in yester months when life was still controlled.... so then i try and honor their new found freedom and stay awake.

For the most part Zoya is the only one who just will not go to bed despite her sleepiness. She'd rather stay with us wherever we are... and create tiny messes of exotic contents. I find wipes and little beads all wrapped up like gifts in the mornings... those are her tiny messes of the night.

Its all very cute if i look at everything with peaceful, non-controlling, fresh eyes... tiredness is within me... but interestingly... like Grandpa bear says.... "never tired" and then promptly falls asleep, i'd rather fall asleep with a smile on my face and theirs than have a showdown and have grumpy dreams.

4 comments:

Jyotsna said...

oh.how i agree with this and about kids fighting sleep all the way...till they actually do and look like angels :)
lovely blog Hema

Hema A Bharadwaj said...

Thanks Jyotsna!

Idania said...

Hi Hema! Remember me?? Idania Duncan? we hosted the pirate day in singapore, I am in Pune now too, i enjoyed your blog today. My number is 9822534253, do give me a call when you have a chance, it will be nice to hear a friendly voice!
Idania

Urmila said...

Beautiful, Hema! That's exactly how the transition feels like.

Happy Unschooling/Deschooling!
Urmila.