When we started out with our unschooling journey, we felt a little like knights in shining armor freeing ourselves from our own self-imposed shackles. Hence the name of the blog.

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Adoption

It was 18th Oct, my birthday. I told Raghu i completed 34 years that day. He said "you are so old" I laughed and was about to say something when he came back with: "Soon you will have grandchildren" So i laughingly and unthinkingly said to him... "for me to become a grandmother... you will need to get married and have kids first"
Pat came his response: "No.... first i have to meet some one" I gulped over this and said "yes then you'd have to marry and have children...right?" To which he said: "No... then i will adopt children" This conversation was the best gift i could have asked for that day.

Raghu is our biological child and Zoya is our adopted child. And Raghu is aware of this and remembers bringing Zoya home clearly. But this was the first time he'd ever said anything about how a family can be formed outside of the traditional way. He is already aware of how a biological family is formed and hence i'd say this dialogue came from some level of understanding within him.

2 comments:

Sandra Dodd said...

Very sweet and thoughtful!

When Holly was six or seven, several unschooling families were over playing, and the little kids had My Little Pony figures all over the den, in various little household units, setting up their "houses" to begin an interaction game.

Someone had two boy ponies (I didn't know there were any, actually; I thought they were all girls) but for whatever reason someone commented "They can't have babies, they're both boys." And Holly, without any hesitation said "They could adopt." And so a baby pony figure was passed over to the male couple and the game continued.

I was impressed, and kept on walking without saying a word.

These kids nowadays... sometime they're very profound!

lifeonplanetearth said...

I've been looking to connect with unschooling families who have adopted! I only know of a few so far. We haven't adopted yet, but will be next year. I'll bookmark your blog.