When we started out with our unschooling journey, we felt a little like knights in shining armor freeing ourselves from our own self-imposed shackles. Hence the name of the blog.

Friday, October 3, 2008

I am becoming a turtle. I disappear into my shell soon as i hear condescending chatter aimed at kids, pinching of cheeks that are not owned by the pincher, answering in sing-song mode for a child who could have answered, etc... I have never been so non-gregarious and anti-general-conversation as i am now.

I guess i don't know where to begin/end when i'm in such situations. It is hard to hear a mother say "well a smack now and then is a good way to keep them in control" or "whenever i talk to my son about stuff he should or should not do, he covers his ears and closes his room door on me" Its tough to speak cordially and continue a conversation with such mothers.

And to talk about children as inconveniences is deplorable. A child is "good" if he or she will allow the parents unlimited time to themselves or time for a movie etc. So otherwise the child is what? Bad? Why did we have them?

Raghu and I watched E.T. He loved it, i love it and remembered old coloring books of mine that had the most famous scenes in the movie. Raghu built a Lego spaceship type structure... and declared it E.T's space ship to go home. I love RU'ing.

1 comment:

Sandra Dodd said...

I have a very hard time being around mean parents too, or parents who want to include me in their complaints about how hard children are.

Someone used this phrase on the Always Learning list. I read it this morning and it made me laugh, but I had to be quiet quickly, because everyone was asleep and my 19 year old is sick in the next room, but the phrase that made me laugh was:

"The Poodle Voice of Parental Approval"

De/SanguineGirl wrote it. I've used "poodle voice before, but never in a big official phrase like that!

Still, I like the poodle voice more than I like the mean and shaming voices.