When we started out with our unschooling journey, we felt a little like knights in shining armor freeing ourselves from our own self-imposed shackles. Hence the name of the blog.

Sunday, October 12, 2008

TY_RKS

Raghu played hang man with me today. (fyi: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangman_(game))
He's played it before with me. I've written out simple words like T_ _ _ R and given him a clue that its a wild animal. Whereupon he loves to pick the wrong letters so I have to start drawing the man hanging from the noose.

But today.... he spelled a word out in dashes! He asked me to guess it.
It went like this: _ _ _ _ _ _ He wanted me to spell it like this: TY_RKS. In case you have not guessed... its T-Rex (acronym for Tyrannosaurus Rex). It was a case of interesting, creative spelling and quite phonetic of him.

God/School Almighty!! What if he never learns to spell? Why not correct his spelling at every step of the way ( even though he seems so newly proud of his spelling skills)? Invented spelling must be squashed as quickly as it germinates.

Man.... am i glad i read about invented spelling on Sandra's and other RU lists/sites etc. I loved being able to calmly watch his creative power, concentration, and sheer joy at being able to create a hang-man when i was unable to spell T-Rex the way he did. He beat me at my adults-rule-game.

To look at it as a happy game, a point of departure, a spurt of phonetic recognition is more important to me than turning it into a teacherly/schooly moment.


2 comments:

Steph said...

ha, too cute! I just got caught up on the few past posts--so you guys are in India now? You are quite the international nomads! And this Radical Unschooling is a new concept for me too--interesting! It's so nice to be able to read and see what's going on in your lives; I love it :)

til next blog visit,
Steph

Sandra Dodd said...

About T-Rex... (Well, not about T-Rex exactly, but it reminds me--)

A friend I've known since we were teenagers sent this recently:

=================
And I thought Placenta Johnson was a bad name. Just when you think you've heard it all...
How would you pronounce this child's name:
"Le-a" ???

Leah?? NO
Lee - A?? NOPE
Lay - a?? NO
Lei?? Guess Again.

It's pronounced "Ledasha" Oh yes... you read it right.

This child attends a school in Livingston Parish, LA. Her mother is irate because everyone is getting her name wrong.

SO, if you see something come across your desk like this please remember to pronounce it correctly.

When the mother was asked about the pronunciation of the name, she said "the dash don't be silent."
========