When we started out with our unschooling journey, we felt a little like knights in shining armor freeing ourselves from our own self-imposed shackles. Hence the name of the blog.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

the pleasure of playing games when sick

Raghu and Zoya are sick with throat infections and a bad cold. Honey, hot water, lots of lollipops, mints, hot soup with noodles.... we explored our kitchen for new foods to suit our body's needs.

Actually, when we woke up we had a full day planned with a visit to the British Council Library and lots of little errands. But after hearing Raghu complain about the full day (that he had been prepared for till the previous night) and noticing the slight change in their demeanor....I cancelled everything.

We listened to music, watched Asterix- the Gaul, played scrabble (yes.... raghu-rules are more fun... just make words as you like... anywhere... e.g. "satulite" and "cookes" and "jar", we played magnetix, puzzles, watched half of chitty chitty Bang bang, watched a nature documentary on Pandas and Penguins, played "chest"...raghu's way of saying Chess, made some collages, used a stencil, ran around the house and chased each other on the scooters etc. For a day that began with cancellations... it turned into a lovely day even as we used up kerchiefs and tissues to manage our noses.

Now its 5 days since i wrote the above... and R-Z still have a night cough and I've caught and am getting over this bad flu virus. I used to feel guilty if i took rest during the middle of the day... so i'd find excuses for it or else push myself to do stuff if there were no excuses handy. But with this new lifestyle things are simpler. I am learning to listen to my body. the kids are better at this than me. they instinctively created new games at home, had me read more books than usual, slept a lot more, worked on all the puzzles we have, learned a bit more about chess, and so on.

A lovely poem that raghu and I enjoy often:

The Land of Counterpane by R L Stevenson

When I was sick and lay a-bed,
I had two pillows at my head,
And all my toys beside me lay
To keep me happy all the day.

And sometimes for an hour or so
I watched my leaden soldiers go,
With different uniforms and drills,
Among the bed-clothes, through the hills;

And sometimes sent my ships in fleets
All up and down among the sheets;
Or brought my trees and houses out,
And planted cities all about.

I was the giant great and still
That sits upon the pillow-hill,
And sees before him, dale and plain,
The pleasant land of counterpane.

3 comments:

Bean's Mum said...

Thank you for sharing a lovely poem I'd forgotten about! Feel better soon.

Hema A Bharadwaj said...

you are welcome. Are you a Radical unschooler as well?

Sandra Dodd said...

I used to read that poem when I was little too!