When we started out with our unschooling journey, we felt a little like knights in shining armor freeing ourselves from our own self-imposed shackles. Hence the name of the blog.

Friday, March 13, 2009

M&Ms for breakfast

I was having toast and tahini with a mug of tea for breakfast... the best breakfast almost... just missing some grapefruit slices. And Z wakes up and reaches for a hug. As i swing around to make space for a chair with her up in my arms.. she reaches out for candy sitting on a shelf. My first instinct overtook and i pulled her away. She was mad at me. I asked if she'd like milk/formula (something she still loves). And then i felt horrible. So while the rest of the day went in a whirl of activity... i could not stop that anxious feeling inside... the 'H' word was ringing within. What it meant and what my role was etc. And so far Raghu's most contorversial breakfast item has been pickled gherkins or perhaps super sweet Choco milk. So Z's latest need for chocolate/gems/smarties/M&Ms as soon as she wakes up has me in a loop. But then i remembered my wonderful mentor Sandra and voila! In 3 clicks i was at this page feeling my breathing returning to normal and feeling at peace with my children's food choices. Thanks Sandra!

http://sandradodd.com/eating/sweets

No comments: