When we started out with our unschooling journey, we felt a little like knights in shining armor freeing ourselves from our own self-imposed shackles. Hence the name of the blog.

Monday, April 26, 2010

The Raghu reading program


This is Raghu's most recent haircut that i did on a whim based on his request "make it a spiky cut amma". Well his hair falls flat and silky so he does use gel from time to time to really make it stand up. We were both pleased with this hairstyle.

This is what i shared with someone on the punehomeschoolers group today.

Sharing my Raghu-reading-program ;-)

Raghu was into words like Coelophysis and Iguanodon at age 4 but could not read words like cat, mat or bat :-0 I was getting into homeschooling/unschooling at the time. I have always been an avid reader and my children often see me with books when i have time. I also read to them each night almost... its a ritual they love. I also read to them whenever they ask me to thru the day. I never shame them .. even when Raghu would ask me something that i felt he could have easily figured out.

If i ask Ravi what is 53.6 divided by 8.8. He gives me an answer. He will not ask me to figure it out, or go calculate it myself or say "what? you don't know that much?" or "i'm sure you can figure it out... now try". He knows that I ask him cause he is a walking calculator and i need a quick answer and he is free to help. Simple.

Similarly i would always tell Raghu any word he asked me to read. I never got into phonetics unless he was trying to sound out the word and wanted my help. Mostly video games and captions on DVDs and tons of books that he loves inspired him to read. I never expected a particular age or time for reading. I simply live with him and treat him like i would like to be treated. No condescension.

Surprise, surprise... he reads beautifully, sometimes haltingly and enjoys the activity most when reading Asterix and Obelix books or traveling in airports and reading signs and warnings to me. His vocabulary is huge and his reading is catching up.

Sandra has a lovely page here: http://sandradodd.com/reading that gave me courage when i started out unschooling... as i then felt Raghu might never read ... esp. the way he was at 4 :-) Silly, silly me. And i would still be happy no matter what age Zoya reads at.

Following the child's lead and strewing their path with interesting things, making our world an accessible place for a child and being their partner makes this way of learning for hte child a never ending quest. There was a funny thing Sandra did that took off like a rocket :-) http://www.sandradodd.com/learnnothingday/

No comments: