When we started out with our unschooling journey, we felt a little like knights in shining armor freeing ourselves from our own self-imposed shackles. Hence the name of the blog.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Small change, Big change





Some more pics of our day today... our grain art, colorful play home and the lovely collection of tools that made the grain art. Just by moving things around in the front room and deciding that while the kid may choose to watch TV and do the Wii... i could sit with them and do something that inspires me too.... the energy of the day changed! Raghu shared a lovely Wii moment with me... and then proceeded to do grain art. Zoya worked on the play house and listed to music from the 80s. Raghu came out and built an amazing Lego plane... but its not finished and so i can't click it yet. And now Raghu won a new level on his Spiderman Wii.

Usually i start to get tired of supporting the media/videogaming stuff as the day moves on (on days where this is their focus)...i get cranky and start to feel that urge to get the children to do my bidding... reading/fixing dinner etc. But I've been working on those thoughts/urges. And sure enough i'm finding ways to calm myself and catch those urges in midair. I have started crochet again and do these artistic activities that make 'me' feel better. I basically distract myself for a while. Then i feel refreshed and i can refocus on the kids... either enjoying their TV show, DVD or computer stuff. Or in this case... like today where they ended up doing activities with me. And now we are going to drop off my helper and then come back and play Wii Mario Super Galaxy :-)

2 comments:

Aravinda said...

wow that house looks tempting!

Hema A Bharadwaj said...

yep, i wanted to cover it with tinsel and make it even more intricate.. but zoya was desperate to get me to play and not create art any more :-)